Wednesday, September 05, 2012

WNBP: Not Into It At All!!!

This year's summer vacation was longer than is usual.  That is good.  We like the vacation time.  And, while it took me a while to get into the summer groove, I like to think I did the season proud when all was said and done.

I'm good at summer vacation.  If my stuttering re-entry into the world of teaching is any indication, I should probably consider doing summer vacation on more of a full time basis.  Seriously.  This whole "getting up and going somewhere that doesn't allow bedroom slippers" nonsense is really just not working out for me at all.  I can't seem to get into it and I suspect this is going to be a problem if I don't get myself together soon.

Here's your bullet points for this lovely Wednesday.  If nothing else, I can say I've managed to keep to the blogging schedule in these dire and uncertain times...

*I almost said, "forget the blog" tonight.  I'm all flustered and out of sorts and perhaps thought that punishing the blog would do something about that.

*It's not the blog's fault I spent the last few days of summer vacation in complete and utter denial regarding the need to get up at 5:00 on Tuesday morning in order that I might start another school year. The blog had nothing to do with that at all.

*Hence, I shall feed the blog and do so with something resembling good grace.

*After yesterday's lengthy round of teacher workshops, I was spent and not looking forward to the kids arrival come Wednesday.

*The best line of the day, "Um, Ms. Sheep?  You don't think we have kids tomorrow, do you?"

*I did.

*How the heck did I manage to forget that we have an extra day of workshops this year due to all the building changes?????

*That is a fairly significant detail, the whole kids vs. no kids thing.

*My school used to be a 7th and 8th grade middle school.

*Now it is a 6th and 7th grade middle school and this honestly did require a whole extra day of discussion.

*I'm not being facetious.  There were great differences between how the 6th grade school was run and how the middle school went about its business.  We still haven't completely come to agreement on how we are going to manage some of it.

*I just sit back quietly and nod sagely, like I really have deep thoughts on the matter.

*I've moved classrooms, schools and school districts about five billion times to date.  It's all the same to me.

*Yesterday, Mr. Principal introduced each of the new teaching teams and handed out school t-shirts sporting our respective team colors.  Everyone had to say what they taught, how many years they've been teaching and how long they've worked for the school district.

*I don't quite know how I feel about being forced to admit I've been doing this for a quarter of a century...

*The last day of summer vacation was not relaxing.  I had no car, having left it in the tender, loving care of the dealership the previous morning.

*When I got it back, it still hadn't passed its state inspection and required many, many dollars to release.

*Also a promise to return it for the rest of the work next weekend.

*Then I had to go register said vehicle with the town and pay my excise tax.

*All this irked me beyond belief because I wanted to keep those dollars with me.

*Furthermore, there was a Dr. Who marathon on.

*I do not feel that I should be running around doing things I put off doing until the last minute when there is a Dr. Who marathon on.

*That should be a law.

*My bathroom startles me.

*I go in there and it's not my bathroom.

It's clean and someone painted it!!!


*I think I like Belgian Waffle as a paint color.

*Almost as much as I like Belgian Waffles...

*Over the last month of summer vacation, I cleared my bedroom of a great deal of outdated clothing and furniture.

*I cleaned the kitchen and got rid of more useless gadgetry than any one person should ever have.

*I have come to accept that I am a stupidly sentimental person who will save a candy wrapper if I can attach meaning to it.

*No.  Seriously.  I found a Sentimental Candy Bar Wrapper Of Great Emotional Import in a kitchen cupboard.

*I no longer own the wrapper.  There has to be a limit to sentimentality.

*And now I have a place to put my yogurt maker!

*My Nook account doesn't have much in it.  But, since I was rummaging around in that particular section of my electronic library, I figured I'd read some stuff.

*I found the first three books in the Dulcie O'Neil series and decided to re-read To Kill A Warlock: The Dulcie O'Neil Series (Volume 1).

*What the heck?  It's there and it's a fun little story that comes with other fun little stories.  Why not give it a read?

*The start of the new school year is a good time for fun little stories, just to keep things light and whatnot.

* I need "light."  Most of my focus really needs to be centered around getting up in the morning and remembering what I have to do to be presentable.

*That isn't going well so far.  Good thing we had the second workshop day or I would have been sunk this morning.

*The good thing about commuting again is that I get to listen to the audiobooks I've been saving for just this time of the year.

*Thrilled to be finally listening to Beautiful Darkness (Beautiful Creatures, Book 2)!

*Finally allowing myself the pleasure almost makes me forget that I am in the car and wearing shoes.

*At least I hope I wore shoes.

*The way things have been going, there is a good chance I wasn't but I don't want to think about it too much.

*Nothing I can do about it now, right?


Well, tomorrow I can only hope I've come to terms with my new reality.  The kids will be arriving whether I am shod or not and me showing up in slippers might just set a bad tone for the rest of the year.  I'm going to get to bed early tonight and think positive thoughts for me getting out the door sometime around the scheduled 6:00 departure time.

I figure I have a 50/50 shot but that's better than I expected...

SA

3 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Ever thought about stashing a pari of shoes under your desk for those dire emergencies? ;o)

Donna Lee said...

I like Belgian Waffle as a color. It's warm and welcoming looking.

I haven't started the closet cleaning and window washing yet but one weekend soon, I'll start. Probably.

Julia G said...

Back to school time! Eldest is beginning a possible teaching career at Big City Elementary, and College Kid is settling in well at Nerdtopia U and reports that even the graffiti at her school is wonderfully nerdy - someone has been running around campus chalking "Bad Wolf" (obscure Dr. Who reference).

On the literary front, I don't know if it's available for Nook, but I just downloaded Kevin Hearne's novella "Two Ravens and a Crow" a/k/a Iron Druid Chronicles 4.5, which fills in the gap between "Tricked" and the forthcoming "Trapped". Just started, but so far it's up to snuff, with a hilarious riff on the Red Sox as seen through the eyes of the Morrigan :-)