Wednesday, June 01, 2011

WNBP: Irony, Winds And Whatnot

Here it is, again...Wednesday.  It came kind of fast this week, partially because Monday was a holiday.  It is also possible that the mighty, whirling winds have ushered it along at a hasty clip.  Either way, it is time for the Wednesday Night Bullet Post so let's have at it!

*I know what irony when I see it.  Or hear it.


*Irony is the principal coming on the school's PA system to announce that all afternoon activities are cancelled due to the tornado watch going into effect.


*And one of those activities is try-outs for The Wizard Of Oz musical at the high school...


*That is just crazy with the ironic.


*They let us all go home half an hour early to say good-bye to our loved ones and whatnot.


*There have been no tornadoes.


*But still...one likes to have time for a little bit of whatnot before things start whirling about.


*Here are some more skulls and skins from yesterday's fun-filled field trip:








*This was back in the halcyon days before I lived in fear of the raging tornadoes.


*Tornado watches are only up for another hour.  It's all fine here.


*I arrived at school and was told that none of my teaching assistants would be joining me for the day.


*Then a veritable parade of sympathetic souls dropped by to offer their condolences on my being left alone all day with the children.


*Only Mrs. Secretary Who Sits At The Back Desk thought to offer me a bathroom break, though.


*I don't have scheduled lunch or prep breaks like other teachers.


*She's a good egg, remembering that.


*It all worked out, though.  I had a lot of sickly kids who couldn't make it in today.


*There were brief gaps where I could scamper off to the restroom.


*Best parent email of the week:

Hello, Ms. Sheep

Thank you for letting me come on the field trip yesterday.  It was so much fun!  In fact, I enjoyed the time with my son so much that I wanted it all to continue and decided to build a tee-pee with him.  It sounded like a pretty cheap way to have some quality time with the kids.

Then he stepped on a nail and we all had to go to the emergency room and, three hours later, it wasn't quite so cheap anymore.  He will be out today while the antibiotics kick in.

Thank you,

Mrs. Mom

*That is slightly paraphrased, but not by much.


*The lesson here is this:  If you've had a good time on the field trip with your kid, don't push it.  You'll just end up exceeding your insurance deductible.


*Best student line of the week (from Spunky Girl):

I am practicing a new glare, but you don't seem all that scared so I guess it still needs some work.

*She has a wicked glare.  I was scared, but I was also kind of tired and couldn't really give her the reaction she wanted.


*Every time I go to school for the day, someone gets into the knitting.


*I come home and yarn is chewed, needles are scattered...it's so frustrating!


*I think it might be a cat, but I don't want to cast aspersions since I'm not here to bear witness.


*And in reading news...


*I finished Dead Matter.


*And Dead Waters.


*A very enjoyable series and one you can easily whip through without too much difficulty.


*The characters grow on you...they just do!


*Then I heard tell about another series and decided to give it a try.


*Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, Book 1) turned out to be a pretty decent read.


*I know I've said repeatedly how tired I am of the whole vampire/werewolf thing, but this one is a very different take on it.


*Werewolf DJ.


*Yeah.


*I was as intrigued as I'm sure you are.


*I downloaded Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, Book 2) right after finishing the first!


*I've also been hearing good things about Death's Daughter (A Calliope Reaper-Jones Novel).


*Anyone read that?  Just curious.


*If I say to Buffy fans, "Yeah, it's that Amber Benson" they'll know what I mean.



So that's today.  As Wednesdays go, it had the potential for disaster what with the missing staff and tornado possibilities.  In the end, though, it didn't go badly.  I even got to go home half an hour earlier than usual so I guess I should thank the Weather That Wasn't.  Now Thursday is even closer and Friday can't be far behind if my calculations are correct.

For the record, the winds never seem to push Friday along any faster.  It comes when it's darned good and ready.

SA

5 comments:

Julia G said...

We dodged the tornado bullet here in CT too - people in Massachusetts weren't so lucky.

At first glance I was squinting at the photo trying to figure out what in the world was going on with the AGK and the VCK, only to realized it was a photo of skins and skulls from your field trip - whew! What a relief!

Anonymous said...

Tornado watches in Maine and tornadoes in Massachusetts -- what is this world coming to?

Maybe you should put your knitting in the refrigerator when you leave for work. A padlock on the fridge door wouldn't be a bad idea, either...

sheep#100 said...

We were under a major thunderstorm and tornado and hail watch yesterday.

The thunderstomrm visited - for all of two minutes.

I liked the Kitty Norville series, too, but it's gotten a bit odd...

Donna Lee said...

We didn't get so much as a breeze (although it's a bit breezy this morning).

Sometime during the night the humidity magically went away and this morning I got to work still feeling fresh and not all soggy.

But it feels like Friday. I am going to be sooo disappointed when I wake up and have to go to work tomorrow.

Cursing Mama said...

We've had a run on tornado watches and warnings lately, sadly not a single one has led to my getting to go home early. I'm not asking for more though... I've had enough wind for the year.