Wednesday, October 03, 2012

WNBP: Can't Put A Label On It

I can't quite figure out how to file this week.  Is it bad?  Is it good?  There doesn't seem to be a pattern here, at least not one I can discern.  I suppose I shouldn't question it too much.  Sure, the whole thing could come together and suddenly land in the "good" column and that would be just ducky.

On the other hand, there is at least a fifty percent chance it could all go into the dumper upon closer examination and no one wants to see that happen.  I think I'll just call it what it is:  A week without a label.

Sometimes it's best to just let these things be what they be.  It will certainly add an extra touch of randomness to the generally all-over-the-place Wednesday Night Bullet Post.

*In case you were wondering what it is like to be a Very Complicated Kitty, I can give you a simple road map to follow.

*First, completely of your own volition, get up and walk out of the room.

*Once you are in whatever location you have selected as your destination, begin to howl inconsolably because you are all alone in this world with no one to whom to tell your troubles.

*After ten, twenty or thirty minutes of this, return to the room where you started where you will see the human and Absurdly Gi-normous kitty with whom you live and looked shocked to find them there as if nothing has happened.  Like you didn't just go through the most horrifying experience of your young life.

*Yowl at them for another few minutes to express your indignation regarding their disregard for self-imposed abandonment issues.

*Ignore all dirty looks.

*We at the Learn-a-ma-torium are fully engrossed in mandated achievement testing.  Historically, this has been a time of great stress for both staff and students.

*This year is no exception, but I have to say that the new job has given me a caseload where kids are far less likely to throw their pencils at my head rather than fill in bubbled test forms.

*In fact, they mostly just sit and take the test.  I'm not really sure what to do with that...

*Little Einstein (a returning student from last year, but not really so little anymore) has a cold.

*He is also one who, until certain chemical processes take place in his body each morning, is prone to a marked lack of good judgement.

*Hence, it wasn't really all that surprising yesterday when he showed up carrying a ball he'd crafted from his own used tissues and trying to involve us all in a game of "catch."

*No one wanted to play.  He seemed kind of surprised by that.

*He also dumped out the container we use to hold the glue sticks so he could capture a spider and pretend to dump it on the heads of anyone who passed by.

*On the plus side, when he was finally able to access his inner calm person, the combination of snot ball antics and congestion left him so tired he wasn't really much of a problem for the rest of the day.

*The New Teaching Assistant took care of the spider.  I took care of using bleach wipes on all snot-ball-touched surfaces.

*The Organized Teaching Assistant just sat at her desk and snuffled because she has the same cold and isn't really functioning well at the moment.

*Today we had our regularly scheduled morning staff development meetings bright and early.

*Then we taught stuff all day.

*Then we went to our regularly scheduled faculty meeting once the teaching day was done.

*Long day...but not so long as it was back when we had to do all our meetings after school.

*It was thirty minutes into the meeting when it occurred to me that I was congested.  And that my throat was all itchy.  And that my sinuses were pounding out the drum solo from Wipeout.

*Great.  I was too late with the bleach wipes.  The snot ball got me.

*But at the end of the meeting, I won a fifty dollar teacher gift card from a local department store.

*Which made everything confusing since I honestly didn't know whether I hated this meeting or loved it.

*Right down the middle...just like the rest of this week!

*Since deciding to devote my morning commute to audio books, I've found the whole experience ever so much more pleasant.

*Even last year when I was driving to work to duck flying pencils.

*But today, I found myself pulling into my driveway during a seriously heartbreaking and crucial part of Beautiful Chaos (Beautiful Creatures).

*I try to not listen ahead since I want to make sure I keep up the Happy Commuter Experience instead of ending it too soon.

*But jeez!  This was just torture!!!

*I have thus far maintained my resolve, but prime time television viewing had better be darned good tonight, that's all I have to say.  It won't take much to tip the scales in favor of listening to the rest of it and commute be damned!!!

*I had a hard time finishing Taken (An Alex Verus Novel).

*Not because it wasn't really good but because I was trying to read it in bed and I've been so tired that I  kept falling asleep.

*Finally got to the finish line last night!  Yay!

*And totally worth the struggle to keep my eyes open.  It isn't the best book in the series, but still darned good fun.

*I fall asleep really well these days, but staying in that state has posed a problem.

*For whatever reason, my brain seems to think that the hour between one and two in the morning would be a great time to start thinking about stuff.

*Which is why I was perusing the library website the other night and discovered that The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) was recently returned by a diligent patron and ready for download!

*Truth be told, I perused this one years ago, but I was reading the series out of order.  Without the first book, the second made little sense to me.

*Ever so much better now that I've finished The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel.

*It literally picks up right where the first book leaves off which, as you can imagine, might cause some confusion if you don't have that background.

*Guess that insomnia paid off...



And here we are on this most confusing of Wednesdays.  We are fast approaching 7:30 and I've suddenly realized that I forgot to eat dinner.  I guess the cold symptoms kind of overshadowed my usual inclination to begin grazing as early as possible.

Which could be a good thing, I suppose.  Or bad.  I don't know anymore.  It's just that kind of week...

SA

7 comments:

sheep#100 said...

achoo

daywoods2 said...

My 17 yr old kitty (Grumpy Old Lady, aka Halley) does the exact same thing, especially right after we've turned off the lights for the night. It's crazy making.

Donna Lee said...

I have the same kind of weird insomnia. I fall asleep and sleep hard until 1:30 or so. I am them WIDE AWAKE. Sometimes I fall back asleep until 3:30 at which time I am mostly awake until the alarm goes off at 5 for my husband to get out of bed. Not good for the alertness during the day.

kmkat said...

I hope that teaching doesn't become boring for you, what with the lack of flying pencils.

Speaking of weird sleeping patterns, I literally could not sleep Monday night. Not.A.Wink. It finally occurred to me at about 4:30 am that I could go in to work early, say 7am, and leave early. So I did. Came home at 4 and slept for 12 hours each of the next two nights. Strange, but I feel fine again.

Elaine said...

I used to be really good at dealing with sleep deprivation. Not so much any more..... a little nap around 3pm sounds like such a fine idea.....

Julia G said...

My dad has a saying, "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." Hopefully the participants in the Junior Varsity Germ Toss will expedite the learning process so you won't have to soak in a vat of Listerine on a daily basis. Feel better!

knitseashore said...

Hope that you had a great weekend and didn't spend it with a box of tissues in front of the TV. Not that TV is bad, but, spending it with the box of tissues definitely is.

Your post inspires me to try audiobooks again. Perhaps the first few I tried were not great books; I lost interest, but can definitely see myself sitting in the garage to finish listening to a chapter of a great story. :)