Thursday, January 03, 2008

Earth Mother, Giver Of Knowledge...or not.

I like to think that I am an easy-going sort of gal.  You know...a gentle and calming influence on the world and those who cross my path.  In my mind's eye, I'm really something of an Earth Mother, Bringer of Light and Flinger of Wise Words all rolled into one.  

Sure, maybe I drop the occasional curse word into the cosmic flow, but that is merely in response to events that are unjust beyond all reason.  Things like slow internet connections, dropped stitches and jeans that do not button after the holidays can make even us saintly types go a little whack-a-doo.  It's only natural and certainly to be expected.  

Mostly, though, I'm the picture of serenity.  Or so I thought.

Today I was assisting a student with a 5th grade project designed to show what the kids have learned about reading.  The assignment required that they choose a book they particularly enjoyed, then use a word processing/graphic layout program to design a small poster.  This project was multi-disciplinary and intended to highlight the connections they are able to make between their reading and their own life experiences.  The student with whom I was desperately trying to finish this project was, shall we say, less than enthusiastic.  But, in keeping with my delusional belief that I am a paragon of patience, I truly believed that I was doing a fine job of encouraging him.  My own view of events had me cast in the starring role as The Teacher Who Cared And Will Be Forever Remembered With Teary-Eyed Fondness.

Teaching is nothing if not a good reality check.  Here's what he wrote:

"The main character in this book reminded me of Ms. Sheep because he is really loud and always wants a vacation."


Oh.  I see.  And this is after a three day work week...




I'll just be resting this weekend.  You might want to call ahead if you were thinking of dropping by.


I will be thinking serene, quiet thoughts and trying to find my Inner Earth Mother.  Or buying lottery tickets.  Either one...

SA

17 comments:

sheep#100 said...

5th graders are brutal, aren't they?

mehitabel said...

Ah, the touching honesty of little children! It's enough to make you tear your hair out. At least there is fiber, and books and a soothing sock to look forward to. The saddest thing about 5th graders is that they are much nicer than 4th graders--I taught 4th grade and actually survived it. Not by much, though.

Anonymous said...

Nice progress on the second sock. You might want to show that ungrateful little 5th grader your dpns. Might make him (her?) a little more respectful.

April said...

Children like that should be home schooled.

:)

Alwen said...

Me, I'm loving that sock yarn. What was it again? Purrr-ty.

Anonymous said...

Your book came in! I still have to order mine. Do you love it?

Mia said...

I'm lovin' that sock!

Oh hell, I just noticed someone wrote that exact same thing.

But I don't care cuz I I'm lovin' that sock! hehehe.

Anonymous said...

I hope that kid is one of a kind.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, who wouldn't always want a vacation from kids like that? :-) I think April has the right idea!

Cursing Mama said...

I just checked the calendar - only 11 (technically 10.5) work days left until the next regular work day off.... I mean Marking Luther King Jr. day.

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

Dude, my Inner Earth Mother almost ALWAYS wants a vacation LOL. (seriously, though being uplifting requires constant rejuvenation!)

Sister Vegetarian said...

Annie, I live for vacations or at least a holiday! I call it my "getting back to mother nature" days where I can relax,feed and talk to the birds and squirrels , chill, and knit as long as I want. I say mother nature invented vacations and holidays so we can connect to her:)There is nothing wrong with wanting to get away from the school children...I call it keeping my sanity :)

Anonymous said...

Lottery tickets are the easiest way to find your inner Earth Mother :)

What your student said sounds like something my daughter might say. good thing she is homeschooled!

Anonymous said...

Here's to a serene and calm weekend, we've had a brutal week too!!! Like the photo grouping....looks like a plan!


Huggs, G

Knitting Linguist said...

Yup, that sounds just like me during the first week of school. And the second, and the third... Hmmm. Enjoy the book -- I am so loving it!

Yarnhog said...

I used to harbor similar illusions about my maternal prowess, until my children discovered SpongeBob Squarepants, and immediately dubbed me "Squidward"--the grouchy, sarcastic, anti-social wet blanket with the shriveled laugh box. The pregnancies, labor pains, and endless late-night nursings were SO worth it.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

LOL! I'm always surprised at how others see me :)